Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Looking Back just a bit...

So, of course yesterday was 9/11 and, therefore, we revisited a huge tragedy. As I told Stacy, I have to be careful how much I watch on television or I'll end up with nightmares for several days following. *sigh* This year was no different--I watched the news and watched the reading of the names of the victims at Ground Zero and watched the same clips over & over again. It suddenly dawned on me that I was watching way too much when Andrew came into the room and said, "Mommy! Airplane! CRASH!" So we turned the television off and turned some music on instead. While I don't want to raise my son in a sheltered world of never knowing what happened, I don't think he needs to think too much about it at the ripe old age of two.

I did find one show in particular interesting. There were people being interviewed about where they were when they found out what was going on--morbid curiosity got the best of me and I listened and watched people share their side of things. It was a reminder of how quickly our world changed that morning. Some people were on a morning jog and ran by someone with a radio who flagged them down to fill them in. Some people were at work already (that was me that morning) and some people hadn't even started their days (Mark and his roommates who I woke up with a phone call that morning).

Here we are, six years later, still trying to work through things and still trying to mend our country. Much of what was shown yesterday was historical but some of it was opinion of who did what and why did it have to happen. I watched the historical stuff. I can do without that many opinions...

No comments: