Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mildly irritated--and I told him so!!

I just got home from a trip to Fred Meyer (for those not from around here, it's a large grocery/department store) where I picked up a few items and headed to the check out. There was a young guy behind the counter--probably early 20's--who did the normal "Hi, how are you today? Did you find everything okay?" conversation.

After paying for my things I smiled and said, "Thanks--don't work too hard this weekend!"

To which he replied, "No chance of that! They don't pay me enough to work hard."

Oh no. You did not just say that to me. Not the person to say that to. I have too many family members and friends who are either currently out of work or headed that direction.

I quietly set my things down on his counter, smiled and said, "Look here, Skippy (yes...I did REALLY call him that even though his name tag read "James") at least they're paying you. At least you're employed. Not everyone around you can say the same thing. ENJOY your job. ENJOY your paycheck. Be grateful for it. Have a nice weekend."

And I took my things and left. He was speechless.

If you're working, remember to enjoy the busy-ness of your job and the paycheck you receive. If you're not working, know that we are praying for you and know that God has a plan for you.

3 comments:

The Powell's said...

Kudos to you!! Every employed person should be greatful for their job in this turbulent economy, I would have said the same thing if I were in your place!

gimpajon aka Hubby Honey said...

Well know as one of those who are currently unemployed, not by choice at that, I would like to say way to go! I have even tried to get work at a simillar store but they to are laying people off soooo "Skippy" should be thankful for the reminder you were so kind as to deliver.(anybody else said they called someone Skippy I'd think,sure, but not you, I believe you could do that:)

Lani said...

Yeah...and when I said, "Look here, Skippy" it was said with quite a bit sarcasm and even a little hair flip. YIKES I'M MEAN! :)