Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why would we call...?

So...where I work, we get a lot of requests for copies of doctors' chart notes and previous medical records. If its going to an attorney's office or a company that is NOT a medical facility, we charge $3.50 for the first page and $0.50 for each additional page (yes, it sounds like a lot, but when you're actually copying the files, it makes PERFECT sense). Yesterday I received such a request. We received a letter notifying us of a patient's appointment with another facility and they stamped the notifycation with a stamp that reads "SEND COPIES OF MEDICAL RECORDS AND X-RAY REPORTS". This particular patient has an EXTENSIVE file. By all indications of the request, they wanted EVERYTHING. So I spent the morning copying 677 pages. YES. That's right: 677 pages. That's more than one ream of paper. More than three hours of copying.

As I was finishing up, I was discussing how I was going to ship this particular file. One of the gals in the office suggested calling the facility (located in Portland--about a half hour away) to see if they had a messenger service so we (or they) didn't have to pay shipping. The receptionist at the facility was not only annoying (chewing gum in my ear and using the words, "Ummm...like..." A LOT), but she was not intelligent.

"Oh...ummm...like, does the letter you received actually ASK for the records or, ummm...like, is it just stamped with a red stamp?"

"I don't know what the difference is. A request is a request when it comes across my desk. Its a stamped letter."

"OH MY GOSH. I wish you would have called before copying that file. Like, we already have everything we need."

"Why would we call when we received a letter less than a week old?"

"Well, see, we SEND the letters notifying all doctors of the patient's appointment (smack, chew, slurp) but we don't really expect the doctors to respond to the request for medical records."

*At this point, I'm about to have kittens. A whole litter.*

She says, "I'm, like, REALLY sorry. I don't know what to say..."

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!

I was polite. But she knew I was NOT happy.

We are still billing them. $341.50
EVERYONE in the office heard about that one. I wasted my entire morning copying 677 pages that no one needs. NICE.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Having worked in law firms dealing with people's medical records -- I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I HATE getting requests and working to fulfill every last one of them only to discover they are no longer needed.

SO annoying.

Your kitten line is hysterical, btw. ;)

Lani said...

I was mostly fascinated by her justification...

"Well, we SEND the requests, but we don't really expect the doctors to respond..."

WHAT?! Then why would you send them?

I sputtered. I actually sputtered while on the phone with her. I almost hung up on her. Seriously. I was seconds from saying, "Just stop talking."

The Beaver Bunch said...

Very, very funny. I'm sure it was annoying, but pretty funny nonetheless.

Mikaila said...

Oh my WORD! I'm fascinated by the same part you are. If you don't need the records, DON'T STAMP THEM IN RED INK!!!

Because Lani, I'm sure you had NOTHING better to do than copy 677 pages. I'd have billed them the $300+ too!