Friday, February 29, 2008

A little--O.K., BIG test of trust

This week has been less than great for me. Mostly for my grandparents, but that frustration, fear & sadness trickles (quickly!) down to the rest of us.

My grandmother on my mom's side (My Nana) was diagnosed with lung cancer two days ago. She landed in the hospital with Pneumonia, but the X-rays & CT Scan showed more than just your run-of-the-mill Pneumonia so she ended up with a biopsy a few days later. She was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday and, yesterday, we learned she is not a good candidate for surgery (84 years old and not in good health) and she doesn't want to try chemo & radiation (I don't blame her!). At this point, we aren't sure what her prognosis is, however, SHE believes she has about a month. Truth be told, even if the doctor gave her days or months or even years I would still go with Nana's prognosis of herself--she's the kind of person who knows her body & mind more than any "expert".

Then I spoke with my dad and learned my grandfather's bank accounts have been hacked into and his money is being used by other people. I'm SO frustrated because it just makes me *incredibly* angry when people pick on the elderly. My grandfather was a pastor and my grandmother was a nurse. They worked so hard for their money and now some FREAKSHOW (other words come to mind but kids read this blog, too) is using MY grandfather's money to pay for his/her crap. *sigh* And now what? My dad and his siblings are doing their best to follow the financial trail, but its so hard to keep track of it all and its so hard to get anything back after its been withdrawn from the account. And besides all that, its the anger and hurt over the fact that Grandpa is disappointed, embarrassed, frustrated, confused...and so on and so forth. YOU DON'T DO THAT TO ELDERLY PEOPLE.

So, here I sit--far away from either one of them and no way to get there and, really, no way to help. I pray for them and I WANT to help them, but feel like my hands are tied. So comes the trust: I have to TRUST God to provide a way for me to see my Nana before she dies (she lives in Texas) and I have to TRUST God to, somehow, make things okay for my grandpa. I'm not very good at the trust thing. But I'm doing the best I can...

6 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

I'll pray for your family as well. I understand being far away and feeling helpless. It's wonderful to know that God is in control, but wouldn't it also be nice if he laid out a road map for us, from time to time, so that we could see the end result? *sigh* I'll be praying...

Anonymous said...

Lani, I'm so sorry! Let me know if you need anything. Love you and praying for you guys!

Mikaila said...

I'm praying for you as well!! What a sucky bunch of happenings all at once. =( Hugs and love!

gimpajon aka Hubby Honey said...

Thanks kiddo, and we pray for Nana as well as all of you. Love and kisses to my little ones , we hope to see all of you soon.
gimpa

Carrie said...

I've been trying to think of something to say for the past day (since I first saw this post). There's nothing really TO say except I will be praying for you and your family. Keep us all posted!

Kati said...

This family is praying too!!!