Monday, February 25, 2008

A project I'm thinking about...

I was watching Gilmore Girls (a fantastic show, by the way!) a long time ago and came across the idea of making a quilt out of baby clothes (Lorelai does one out of Rory's clothes). I've been doing some research and am getting ready to start this process. However, I'm not sure I can bring myself to actually cut the clothes for the squares!! I'm trying to decide if it would be better to just save the clothing items in tact. But then I can't imagine my kids actually wanting the CLOTHES for their kids so a quilt seems more practical. *sigh* What to do...what to do...

Plus, I have to decide if I want to make the quilt just out of baby clothes or use some of their clothes during all their growing up years like this lady does:

http://fun.families.com/blog/building-a-baby-clothes-quilt

If I do that, I would be able to use pieces of Tori's prom dresses (that is, if Mark ALLOWS her to go to the prom!) and pieces of Andrew's favorite T-shirts and sweatshirts & t-shirts from things they accomplish (sporting events, plays, whatever...).

HELP! I need some other thoughts & opinions on the matter!

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea! I am so doing that! I think that both would be great, but if you're looking for them to have it as an adult, I think that the progressive quilt over the span of many years would be more memorable and sentimental.

Mikaila said...

I agree - if it's a quilt for them to have as adults I think they would really appreciate the longer-spanned one. But it would also be super cool to make quilts for THEIR kids using their baby clothes. I've always wanted to do this but I don't really sew anymore. So I'm anxious to see what you decide to do and eventually see the finished masterpiece!