Sunday, August 19, 2007

At least I know he's listening!

Quite a while ago, I started giving Andrew directions and then asking him, "is that clear?" to establish that he was listening and that he heard me. A few weeks ago, I asked him to do something and he said, "no, I don't want to..." I said, "Excuse me?" And he said, "No--is that clear?" *sigh*

It's been a few weeks since he said that, so I figured he was moving past it. This past week a close friend came over to help me arrange furniture and get some more things settled into the apartment. She was drinking coffee in the living room where Andrew is only allowed to drink water (I'm not a fan of spilled milk on the furniture & carpet). He pointed to her cup and said, "Water?" She said, "Nope, it's coffee!" He reached for the cup and said, "Not on the carpet. Is that clear?" She let him have her cup--he set it on the kitchen table and said, "Here is good. Carpet is bad." And then he asked her to take a time out. I quickly established that Sue was a guest and an adult, so that rule did not apply to her. Andrew had a concerned look on his face but said, "Okay. I guess." Now, if either Mark or I take something into the living room, Andrew reminds me we are "anults" and it's okay.

Pretty soon, he'll be giving ME a pop quiz on the rules!

2 comments:

Mikaila said...

Sheesh, he is a smart little cookie!

Carrie said...

You have your hands full, that's for sure!